I’ve been out of school for less than 2 weeks, but have already been putting my kitchen to good use! I thought I’d share some photos of my creations and some recipes in case you want to make them for yourself! Enjoy! 🙂
A good friend of mine came over and we made an amazing (and easy) apple coffee cake. We got the recipe from the best site ever: allrecipes.com. Click here to check out the recipe! We used jonagold apples and it turned out great! I had to make it pretty before bringing it to church! The frosting is simple: melted butter, milk, vanilla and powdered sugar.
When I had some leftovers carrots from a veggie tray, I decided to use them to make homemade chicken noodle soup. I had never made it before, but can you really get something like that wrong? So, I picked some stuff up at the store and threw it in a pot. I thought it was pretty good and I had a couple people over and they both finished their bowls, so I guess it’s a win! This is how I made it:
1) Sautee onions (I like using the chopped frozen ones because they’re easy!). Add unmeasured amount of chopped carrots and celery.
2) When the onions are starting to brown, add 1 can of chicken broth.
3) With your hands, shred up a “savory” flavor rotisserie chicken (had a coupon for that guy!) and add to the pot. Add water as needed.
4) Chop fresh herbs: parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme. You can use dry herbs too and wouldn’t have to use all of them. (had a coupon for fresh herbs too!)
5) Boil whole wheat egg noodles in a separate pot, as directed on bag.
6) Add noodles and herbs to soup. Add water as needed. Flavor with lemon juice, pepper and salt to taste.
Serving suggestions: Parmesan or Asiago cheese, sour cream
Next, it’s smoothie time! I tossed a large handful of fresh raspberries, strawberries and blueberries into a plastic container and put it in the back of the freezer for an hour or two. Then, I dumped them in the blender, added some yogurt, milk and a touch of vanilla and VROOOOM… pour, enjoy! A fresh mixed berry ice-less smoothie! YUM!
Today’s song is what my family used to sing before praying for a meal: “Mmm mmmm, good! Mmm mmmm, good! The food that God makes is mmm mmmm good!” 🙂
This is just the beginning, but I’ll save more photos and recipes for later… gotta keep you coming back! 😛